Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Visual Schedule Time!

Rocket Boy is definitely a visual learner, so a visual schedule seemed like a no-brainer. I have searched high and low for a schedule and cards that would work for us but could not turn up anything. I found a card builder as well, but for some reason it didn't want to load any of my clip art. So, I made my own.

I created a table in Word - 3x5 with 0.5in top and bottom borders. This gave us pretty good size squares to work in. Then I found clip art for each activity through Word or a quick Google search. I have started with 30 different activities but I am sure I will need more at some point. 


I printed them and cut them all out. Then I cut pieces of poster board for the back of each to make them a bit more sturdy. I had a crinkled bit of poster board in the craft closet I couldn't use for much else, so it finally went to good use. 

Then I got down to "laminating" - aka, covering everything in packing tape. I am sure this would go a LOT faster with actual laminating material, but for now my tape method works just fine. Then I cut a bit of magnet tape for the back of each since I got a magnetic board to post them on. You could also do velcro and a different type of board for the back. 



After a long while, I got all of them "laminated" and applied all the magnets. I think they turned out pretty sturdy and they stuck to the board really well. 


I added a ribbon to the back of the board since I want him to be able to move the board from upstairs to downstairs to see throughout the day. I also added some lines in permenet marker to denote some "reading lines" - he is in the pre-reading stage and I want to help him get comfortable reading left to right. 


I already see a couple more things we need, mainly some multiples of a few activities (like two "brush teeth" and another "watch TV" since we have a couple of viewing times each day). I will most likely wait to make more until I have at least half a page worth to print. 

In case anyone wants a starting list, these are the activities we used: Get Dressed, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Errands, School, Set Table, Clean Up, Watch TV, Bath, Stickers, Brush Teeth, Bed Time, Play Dough, Coloring, Story, Mommy Time, Daddy Time, Grocery, Target, Church, Doctor, Quiet Time, Visit Friends, Park, Dance Party, Puzzles, Library, Movie Night, and Special Activity.

Special Activity will be used for one-time events - like going to a festival or the pumpkin patch. I just put some festive pennants on that one. We actually have a square just for shopping  at Target - it is his favorite place. Every family will have slightly different activities, so customize this to your needs. 

I also made sure to choose pictures that would really resonate with Rocket Boy and not cause issues. For instance, most of the boys shown look like him (blond hair, small boy) and in the "errands" spot the car picture actually looks like our vehicle. I know my son and I know that if the pictures were not close to reality he would fixate on that. A good way to avoid all that is to take photos but I honestly like clip art better. 

I will be adding a folder pocket to the bottom to hold "done" items and the activities he can choose from each day. The extra magnets will be kept in the bottom of our calender, which already has a great little pocket. 

Hopefully this will really help with transitions and changes in schedule which are especially hard for Rocket Boy. Do you have a visual schedule for your kids? How did you make yours? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment