Tuesday, September 30, 2014

School District Evaluation

The start of our journey with Rocket Boy was a high ASQ:SE score. He scored a 170 (not including the extra points from areas I marked as concerning) and the cutoff for "normal" is 70. This confirmed for me that the issues we were having was not all in my head. The public health nurse who helped us with the screening suggested contacting our school district as a good place to start since Rocket Boy was past the age for the Early Intervention programs.

And so, we contacted our school district. Initially we were told it could be two months before we would be seen, even with the high ASQ:SE score on file. I decided to send the evaluation team a document outlining some the behaviors we were seeing at home and socially, hoping that it would speed up the process. It did, and they fit us in just a week after that email went out.

Today was the evaluation. Rocket Boy did super, as I knew he would. He is very smart, but of course I think that since I am his mama. When it comes to cognative skills and learning ability, RB is ahead of the curve. Today just confirmed that again for me. We won't know the actual scores for a few more weeks but their initial tally today showed that he is advanced. Since I tested within "gifted" range as a child, this wasn't a huge surprise to me - but it doesn't stop me from feeling proud!


However, given my concerns and his ASQ:SE score, they want to observe him at preschool. They will not be looking so much for educational delays or issues but more for social abilities. They want to see him among his peers and trying to "attend" (pay attention) to tasks. They agree that while he may be able to sit still for three hours right now, his immediate meltdowns after school time is over shows just how much effort that takes for him.

They were able to give me the names of some Occupational Therapists and Child Psychologists in town who we can contact for private evaluation. His social/emotional issues will not receive help from the school if they don't interfere with learning, therefore we will most likely need private evaluation to get any therapies or help.

Step One of this journey is completed, or at least mostly completed. I will sleep a little better tonight just knowing we put one foot in front of the other today.

No comments:

Post a Comment