Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Woo Woo Woo (Or, Our Time at the Grocery)

Woo Woo Woo

"Okay honey, that's a cool noise. Can you think of another cool noise to make?"

Woo Woo Woo

Woo Woo Woo

"Hey bud, did you hear mommy?"

Woo Woo Woo

"Why don't we sing a song? The Wheels on the Bus go round and round..."

Woo Woo Woo

(Continue this thread for about 35 minutes through the store...without stopping.)
 

I know he was overstimulated. I know he was just trying to cope. I eventually gave up trying to redirect and just got the shopping done, amid a sea of "stink-eye" from my fellow shoppers.

Once upon a time when I didn't have children of my own I probably would have been one of the stink-eye givers in this situation. I didn't understand that kids were not robots, and they don't have a mute button. I didn't understand that children (and people in general) can have sensory overload. I wish I could go back and smack myself. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment