Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Book Review: The Asperkid's Launch Pad

I am an avid reader and a lover of the library; I could honestly spend all day in the quiet of a library, turning pages of books new and old. When we decided to seek help for some of the specific issues Rocket Boy was having I turned to the library and picked up books across a wide range of subjects.

One of the most helpful books I found was one I picked up on a whim - The Asperkid's Launch Pad, Home Design to Empower Everyday Superheros, by Jennifer Cook O'Toole.


While this book is focused on how to make a home more functional for a child with Autism/ASD, I feel that the tips and tricks would be helpful for anyone, young or old, Autistic or Neurotypical. This book breaks down how to help your child in each part of your home and contains extra little notes and tips along the way.

The photos in the book are beautiful without being overly-staged, making me feel that the goals are attainable and translatable. While some of it is beyond my comfort zone (accessible glass wear for toddlers/young kids to use) it does give me a lot to think about once we don't have a Rocket Baby getting into everything.

One of the most profound points of this book is the way it opens your eyes to how an "asperkid" sees the world. It points out how complicated tasks can be that we may take for granted, such as pouring a drink. After I read this book I started to verbally break down tasks for Rocket Boy and found that he did so much better with that extra direction. The visual schedule suggestions have worked very well too.

If you are looking for ways to help your child now, I really can not recommend this book enough. In all the turmoil of facing a possible diagnosis for your child this book can cut through the suggestions and scientific talk and get right down to practical advice and application. 

No comments:

Post a Comment