Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Mini Sensory Experiences - Mess Free!

Lately I have been adding a sensory experience to an unexpected place - the fridge door. 

I wanted to make "squish bags" (or some people call them discovery bags) for the kids to explore, but Rocket Baby has some amazing chompers and I knew I would end up with busted bags. Since you usually put non-edibles in these, that wouldn't be good! 

I made some around Christmas that I didn't get shots of, but I have added some new ones since then. My first bags were slime, water/oil, and paint. The paint bag was taped to the window, and when you run your finger on it you can "write" in the paint. That was a pinterest idea, not mine! The slime bag was just a way to get a little more life out of the slime we made previously - I just stuck it in a bag, and taped it to the fridge door. 

The oil/water bag was the favorite that week - vegetable oil, colored water, and I added some glitter and foam beads too. I taped it to the fridge VERY WELL and covered it in a layer of tape. I did mention Rocket Baby had major biting issues right? It needed protection.

The slime bag and water bag had very different sensory experiences - the slime was hard to push around and was opaque and made no noise. The water/oil bag was super squishy, easy to push, clear, and made noise when you whacked it. You could see the boys comparing them as they walked up several times a day to push and poke. 

This past week I made a new bag in honor of the New Year. Stars and glitter and gems - and I put hair gel in it this time. Squishy but still not water like. And a steal at the dollar store. I stuck the foam star stickers to the inside of the bag before adding the gel and other things - this way the stars stayed still and the rest of the contents moved. I thought that would add something new. The boys loved this one too!


I am working on a new series of posts...all written out right now, but I am having the hardest time getting photos! Have you tried to get your sensory seeker to hold still during their favorite sensory activities for a picture? Yeah, it's working out real well.

No comments:

Post a Comment