Sunday, November 16, 2014

Slime Time!

 

Last night I decided that Rocket Boy needed some slime. Why? Mainly because slimy/squishy/sticky is a hard tactile challenge for him. And partially because I really wanted to play with some slime too. 

So I started out hoping to make an "edible" slime with fiber powder and water. Well, I missed the note that you have to buy the type with psyllium in it. So after microwaving a bowl of fiberous water for...forever...I realized my issue. 

So I searched and searched for a slime recipe that didn't need borax and that I already had the ingredients for. Luckily I found a recipe from Fun at Home with Kids - using only glue and laundry detergent.

You can use any washable school glue, clear or white. But the detergent you use is specific - for Americans, just look for Seventh Generation Free and Clear (any concentration works). For those overseas, check out the link above from Fun at Home with Kids for the specific detergent you can use. Luckily for me, Seventh Generation Free and Clear is the detergent we use on a regular basis!


The directions are simple - pour the glue in a bowl, then add the detergent a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each. I used 4oz of glue, and about 5 tablespoons of detergent. You will know when you have the right amount of detergent - it will stop sticking so much and be the perfect gooey slime texture.

I added a good amount of silver and blue glitter to the slime, and called it "snow slime." It's snowing here already so snow is on Rocket Boy's mind right now. He started with a spoon and only a few pokes with his little finger.


To encourage him to really dig in, I added some marbles to the slime and told him he had to rescue them. That really helped him get his hands into it and explore the texture. He learned how to manipulate this fun material - letting it slowly fall, quickly pulling to snap off small bits, and learning how to get the marbles out cleanly. This slime really is a lot of fun to play with! 


This was a really fun and new experience for Rocket Boy and one I will take out again in the coming days and weeks. I liked the fact that this slime is non-toxic (though NOT "edible") - the glue is non-toxic and the detergent is non-toxic as well. I have played with slime made from borax before and found it really harsh on my hands, so I loved that this slime recipe didn't have that effect. Apparently the chemical reaction that takes place is the same as the borax recipe with the same ions, but I think because the detergent is diluted already, it makes it less harsh. 

I hope that this recipe works well for all of you, and don't forget to Pin this for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment