Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New Year, New Sensory Equipment (Pt. 3)

We have a lot of new fun things here in the house for Rocket Boy! Most are from Christmas, but some are just being added (or gifted) to grow our repertoire and create an environment that Rocket Boy thrives in.

The first major piece to be added was a crash pad. Now, there are high priced (and large) crash pads out there, some are like gym equipment, some are made for therapy. But bottom line is that our space and our budget don't allow for those options. So I had to wrack my brain a bit for an alternative. 



What we ended up with was a sleeping bag (found at the thrift store for $3 - and I couldn't resist the retro MLP print) and an assortment of blankets and pillows to stuff it with. Most of the stuffing is just extra things from the linin closet that don't get pulled out much. 



Now, it's not perfect, but it does the job for now. Ideally, I will get some upholstery foam scraps to stuff it with and sew it closed and make a dedicated cover for it. But for now we "fluff" the stuff inside every couple days and cover with a spare blanket to give it a washable cover. 

Rocket Boy loves this thing. I could not begin to guess how often this is jumped on. He jumps from the couch to the pad, from the floor to the pad, from the pad to the couch...jump jump jump. But I'm not complaining - it saves my couch from some abuse. He has a dedicated spot to jump into instead of jumping on the couch, all over, all day (which is what he did previously). 

I never thought I would be encouraging him to jump on things, but you change your idea of "good parenting ideas" when you have a sensory kid! 

While it will be nice to upgrade to upholstery foam in the future, this was a quick and almost free solution I'm pretty proud of. What sort of diy contraptions have you made for your kiddos? 






No comments:

Post a Comment