Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New Year, New Equipment (Pt. 2)

I'm going over some of our new sensory equipment and toys that are making our lives a bit easier. Everything has been a hit, but we have a current favorite:

The trampoline


Never in my life did I imagine letting my kids have a trampoline in the house. Honestly I hate trampolines. That might have to do with seeing multiple accidents from them as a kid (teeth knocked out, broken arms, pinched skin the springs - not pretty). Even as a kid I was cautious of them. 

Now I have one in my living room. 

We were gifted this unexpectedly from my sister in law, who had it sitting in her garage, unopened, for a long time. We mentioned that we missed the Black Friday sale on this item and she offered it gladly to us. 

It was an immediate hit with both the boys, but especially Rocket Boy. For a sensory seeking kiddo, this is heaven. Movement, joint compression, hard work - all rolled into one compact bouncy gizmo. 

I really like this model, though I do wish it folded up for storage. But luckily after we moved the tree out of the living room this was able to be tucked into that corner perfectly. It would be nice to put a side table there instead, but oh well. Such is life with kids! 

Not only is this fun for Rocket Boy whenever he randomly decides to bounce, but it is also proving effective for redirecting energy and impulses. When he starts to get too rough with Rocket Baby, I can redirect quickly and say "I see you need to get some wiggles out - lets do 15 big jumps!" He gets to jump and get out the energy that was about to get him in trouble, he practices counting, and we are all happier and have no injuries. Win win! 

A lot of parents of sensory kids have a trampoline, so this may not be the most creative bit of equipement, but it sure is effective! 







No comments:

Post a Comment