Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Calm Down Corner

Since our visual schedule is working rather well, I decided to try a version of the visual calm-down aids I have seen online. 

We have been using "time-out" and "time-in" for a long while now. While "time-in" still works at times (when we catch a behavior spiral before it gets out of control), time-outs were not working at all anymore. It didn't matter the location or the method or the time length. It had simply lost meaning, and honestly it was driving me crazy enforcing something that wasn't working. 

So we took the advice of many a book and started fresh. Introducing "Calm Down Corner"


This is a corner just off the living room, but behind the baby gate (so that Rocket Baby can't interrupt). I can see and hear him he is not in isolation. In our oddly set up downstairs living area, it's really the only spot I could clear out. 

I marked out a box on the floor with tape so that Rocket Boy knows precisely where he is expected to stay (which was a problem with the previous time-out method). I added a small pillow, a SMALL blanket (anything larger than a baby blanket becomes a whirlwind weapon of doom), and a few items - one puzzle, one favorite book, and two of his calm-down glitter bottles we made together. I also added a visual aid to the wall.


The visual aid may have to change, which is the one road block we have hit. I meant for the list to be a visual reminder of things he could do, and explained he didn't have to do all of them but that he could do what he thought would make him feel calm. 

Instead...he insists on doing everything in specific order and wants me to verify each step. Needless to say that doesn't give him or I a break from the situation and raised emotions. So...I will figure out something else there. Maybe a choice board? But then that is too much when he is upset or wound up. If anyone has suggestions on that note, let me know. 

Overall though, I think the new space is working. For one, I don't always have to send him there. Several times in the past couple of days he has asked to go to Calm Down Corner when he feels out of control. That is a huge step for him, especially given he is three years old to begin with without all the other things he is dealing with. And when I do send him there to calm down, he is actually staying there and not making a game of it. 

While we need to refine the method a bit, I hope this is a positive change for us. While we still try to use "time-in" (comfort, hugs, deep breathes, etc) as much as we can, Rocket Boy tends to fight physical comfort from others when he is in the middle of a tantrum or meltdown. Hopefully this will give us a place to go when he doesn't know how to accept outside help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment