Friday, October 10, 2014

Finally

After our evaluation with the school district I emailed the evaluation team to ask for advice and referrals in our local area. I got an email back a day or so ago with a nice list of evaluation centers who do full ADOS-2 testing, child psychologists and a few other resources. 

We decided to start with a child psychologist here in town who has a good reputation in the autism community here, as well as with the school district (specifically, that she sends very thorough reports and suggestions). I spoke with the booking clerk today and she spent a good 15 minutes on the phone with me listening to the concerns that lead me to make the call and writing down different oddities of behavior or developement we noted so far. While we didn't get the appointment set (the secretary for the specific Dr. we will see is out of the office until Tuesday) I did get a very good vibe from the initial phone call. She even let me know about local support groups for parents that I had been unable to unearth on my own. Fingers crossed we can get in soon! 

Life has been a bit hectic and stressful as of late, hence the temporary slow down in blog posts. Rocket Dad is pulling more hours at work (65-80 a week now), plus school and study time, so I am sorta floating on my own out here with parenting Rocket Boy day-to-day. It doesn't help that some of the support I thought I could count on has been less than helpful and I'm not sure where to turn for moral support of my own. When I feel the need to defend my parenting or our decision to seek diagnosis every step of the way through a conversations it sorta puts a damper on things. If we do get a positive diagnosis of ASD or similar...will those feelings ever stop? Something tells me not to expect it.

I am attempting to stay busy with the kids and find a lot of ways to occupy our days, which is difficult when a lot of the things Rocket Boy likes to do gets a bit destroyed by Rocket Baby. Maybe once Baby stops eating crayons and wants to join in the purpose of coloring time things will be a bit easier. Until then, well, lets just say we have had some colorful diapers. 

I couldn't resist. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment